Monday, August 18, 2014

Aloo Paratha or Potato stuffed flat Bread


Today I am going to make Aloo Parathas for the very first time. I was born in South India where rice is considered as the staple food.We make parathas occasionally in our home. But when I got married, I figured out my husband is a big fan of North indian cuisine. I haven’t tasted an authentic Aloo Paratha in my life, but today I'm going to give it a try. So friends, please wish me good luck :-)

About Parathas:

 Parathas are whole-wheat Indian flatbread. Parathas can be made plain or stuffed with many different fillings like methi leaves, potato, spinach and paneer. 

Ingredients:

For the Dough:

Whole-wheat flour - 2 cups
Water - 1/2 cup
Salt to taste

For the Filling

Potatoes - 2 medium
Green chillies - 3 - 4 thinly sliced
Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
Cilantro - A bunch
Garam Masala- 1/2 tsp
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
Salt - 1/4 tsp

Whole-wheat flour - 1/2 cup
Butter -2 tbsp

Mix flour, salt and water together. Make sure to add water little by little. Knead the dough(I prefer mixing the dough with my hands) for few minutes on a lightly greased surface. Set the dough aside and cover it with a damp tissue for at least ten minutes.

Pressure cook potatoes. You can also boil them until they turn soft. Mash it after it is cold. Add the ingredients and mix it well.

Divide the dough and shape it in to balls. Now divide the potato mixture and shape it in to small balls. Roll the dough in small circle about 3 inch diameter circles. Place the potato balls in the center. Seal by pulling the edges of the rolled dough together to make a ball.Keep it aside. Now proceed to make the remaining balls.Let it settle for 5 minutes before rolling them again.
Heat the skillet on medium fire. Roll the balls in dry flour and lightly press it. Roll these balls in big circles. Sprinkle with flour to prevent it from sticking.

Now heat the skillet and cook the paratha. Add a little butter and press it with the spatula making sure the paratha is golden-brown on both sides.


No comments:

Post a Comment